Getting the best crib mattress is a must-have for your baby’s good night’s sleep. Choosing the best crib mattress means the right size and shape of the mattress which is crucial for babies’ development, safety and to avoid any misfortune. Therefore, choosing the right mattress is equally as important as choosing the right cot (read cot buying guide here). There should be no more than ½ an inch gap around the edges or sides, according to the health and safety guide.
Things To Consider While Buying The Best Baby Crib Mattress To Buy
These are our picks of the 10 best baby mattresses you can buy and a guide to finding more about how to buy a non-toxic baby mattress.
A waterproof mattress lasts long, when looking for the best baby crib mattress it should have a wipeable cover to keep it safe from water or other damages.
Firm mattresses can reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), the third leading cause of infant mortality in the United States. Almost 2,500 infants die due to SIDS every year in the US. Firm mattresses can offer the required resistance to babies’ young body which is essential as support to learning to roll, push up, and standing up in the crib.
A best Baby Crib Mattress can range between 5 to 6 inches thick, while foam mattresses are 4 to 6 inches thick. Both types can provide the baby with comfort and support; any mattress above the 6 cm thickness is dangerous and should not be sold. All the mattresses for cribs should conform to both BS 7177 1996 for flammability and Part 10 1997 for safety and performance.
Ensure your mattress has good breathability to help keep the baby’s temperature regulated to reduce the risk of SIDS. It can reduce the risk of allergies or asthma. You may want to choose a breathable mattress for a premature or seriously ill baby.
A Perfect Fit And High Rated
Look for a snugly fitted crib mattress for your baby. space between the mattress’s edge and the crib’s frame should be minimum to avoid the accidents and SIDS involved with wider gaps .Its advised to choose a crib mattress with smaller dimensions for a mini crib, standard size crib mattress for a full-size crib, and a right portable crib mattress for a Playpen or travel cot.
MATTRESS TYPES FOR CRIBS:
It’s very important to understand before buying how many crib mattresses available in the market and if it fits your needs.
How to choose the best baby crib mattress to buy when you have loads of choices? The main baby mattress types are foam, sprung, pocket sprung, organic or non-toxic. The Lullaby Trust and experts advise that the best baby crib mattress needs to be firm, flat, and in perfect condition, without any tears, molds, or lack of shape.
- Foam Mattress: Generally, the cheapest, foam mattresses are lightweight and provide good support. They often have a waterproof and wipe-clean surface on one side so easy cleaning is a breeze. cons are that these mattresses tend to lose their shape easily and you have to keep them flipping over. Hence another side isn’t waterproof you either have to invest in a waterproof sheet or cover or it may get wet and moldy so are only better for short-term use in a mosses basket or a crib.
- Coil Sprung: If you are looking to buy the best baby crib mattress then look no further as coil-sprung is a very popular choice among parents. Coil sprung mattresses have a coil interior with layers of foam or felt padding around them which helps with increased airflow. They are supportive and will keep their shape well over time.
- Spring/pocket spring cot mattress: They are expensive. Similar to coil sprung mattresses, each spring in these mattresses has a pocket to provide better support and longevity. These are an expensive choice and not cost-effective. Mostly has two sides with a wipe-clean side for your baby to sleep on with a waterproof layer. It can be flipped over to the cotton side in hot weather.
- Organic Fiber cot mattress: These crib mattresses have a filling of organic fiber with other layers of organically driven materials. The fibers are processed for strength and protection. An organic filling helps air circulation and is naturally hypoallergenic. These mattresses are durable because they hold their shape well and come with wipe-clean covering too.
- Hollow frame (PurFlo)/ Breathable cot mattress: This non toxic mattress claims to be 100% Breathable. Babies can breathe through this mattress and they dont get any more sweaty backs in hot weather. Hence their bosy temperature doesnt increase and they can sleep and breathe easily on this mattress. This crib mattress claims to be the fully breathable and washable cot mattress. It’s basically a mesh-covered frame and also don’t use foam, glue, latex or springs. which ensures good air circulation for your baby and keeps them comfortable. This cot mattress is 15cm deep hence not safe to keep on a higher cot setting.
- Hypoallergenic cot mattress: These come with a quilted top removable cover which is easily removed to wash. This feature helps to kill any dust mites that may cause allergies. It’s useful to buy if asthma runs in the family as these are non-toxic. It’s also very good for skin allergies. Hence loved by most parents as the best baby crib mattress to buy.
- Nontoxic crib mattress: An “organic” crib mattress sounds great and easy to find but traditional organic mattresses release chemicals with the body’s heat. Unfortunately, a crib mattress claiming to be “organic” is not by default non-toxic and can still expose your baby to violent chemicals such as heavy metals, flame retardants, ammonia, and formaldehyde. The solution, look for a crib mattress that’s Greenguard Gold Certified when looking for the best baby crib mattress to buy.
RIGHT THICKNESS FOR BABY CRIB MATTRESS?
You might already thinking and yes, It’s very confusing when it comes to buying a cot or crib mattress. It was like space science for me to be honest when I wanted to buy a new Mattress after my baby had very bad eczema.
Baby Cot/Crib mattresses come in multiple sizes too. Ranging from standard to a mini or crib and co-sleeping cots version, and some come in different shapes such as circle or oval instead of regular rectangular Shapes.
Here’s a quick guide to sizes along with tips for helping you find the best baby crib mattress to buy in 2021.
US Bassinet & Cot Mattress Sizes
|Mosses basket||32.5 x 19.5 in|
82.5 x 49.53 cm
|Cribs||52 x 28 in|
132 x 71 cm
|Bassinet||51 x 27 in|
130 x 69cm
|Co Bassinet/co-sleeper||96 x 61 cm|
38 x 24 in
|Baby and toddler bed||140 x 70 cm|
|Cot||30 x 75 in|
What’s the best baby cot mattress to buy: Organic or nontoxic?
With all the discussion it’s evident that non-toxic is the best baby crib mattress to buy in 2021 and in the middle of a pandemic. It can be very tempting to opt for a breathable, non-toxic, washable, and waterproof baby Crib Mattress so that your baby isn’t breathing toxic chemicals fumes from their mattress, and if you’ve got the budget we highly recommend buying a 100% organic non-toxic mattress. Maybe you think an organic mattress is similar to a non-toxic (read this guide to understand the difference).
But if you’ve got a limited budget to spend then the best baby crib mattress is a sensibly sourced foam mattress (check this VOC foam mattress list)are a better choice than a standard mattress and with a good mattress protector, you’re most likely to notice any issues.
VOC foam mattress vs foam mattress:
You, might be thinking what are the specifications you should be looking for in a low- or no-VOC mattress?
One reliable way is to look for a certificate called GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), which means that this mattress is made from almost made from organic sources without chemical flame retardants and pesticides were used to make the mattress. This VOC foam mattress could be the best baby crib mattress to buy if you have a limited budget. We have done all the leg work and shortlisted highly rated and recommended list here.
How to choose a good travel cot mattress?
A playpen or AKA travel cot offers a convenient, portable sleeping and a safe play space from new-born babies to 3 years. A travel cot mattress could be around 10cm thick and it needs to be firm, flat, and waterproof with no soft or quilted areas, particularly to keep the baby head safe as the base isn’t that solid. These thicknesses are coded as BS 1877:Part 10:1997, the safety regulations that govern cot mattresses standard.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT CHOOSING A MATTRESS with best greenguard gold certified cribs and mattress guidelines.
Which mattress you are choosing after reading this guidance ? Please let us know in the comments.
Please note that the purpose of the above article is for Information only please always follow the safety guidelines and professional advice, our information isn’t a replacement of experts guidelines.: We added size charts as guidelines only.
SAFETY CODES TO BUY THE BEST BABY MATTERESS:
Crib — BS EN 1130-1/2:1997
Cot — BS EN 716-1/2:2008+A1:2013
Children bed — BS 8509:2008+A1:2011
Cot mattress — BS 1877-10:2011+A1:2012
Travel cots — EN 716-1: 2017+ AC 2019.